Broccoli and Mushroom Rice and Roni

Broccoli and Mushroom Rice and Roni ~ the tasty side dish that is ready in twenty minutes!

When I was younger and branched out on my own, the boxed variety of this side dish was a staple. Inexpensive and since I love rice, well perfect for a single gal. Now that I am much much older, I am still a lover of rice, but discovered I can make this very quickly in my own home.
To date I've made a few different versions, the first being Homestyle Rice and Roni, followed by Broccoli au Gratin Rice and Roni, Asian Rice and Roni and a Mushroom Rice and Roni. The steal deal on broccoli and mushrooms led me to make this recipe. It is actually a great meal on its' own, but I served it last evening along side steak which I marinated in my London Marinade.The marinade was created for tougher cuts of beef as the shoulder London broil or flank steak. You can click on the images at the bottom of the post and it should take you directly to the Rice and Roni post you want to visit.

I am beginning to the the possibilities are endless and this dish you can switch ingredients out very quickly. To keep the sodium level down in our house, I used low sodium broth and not a lot of salt as I always cook with salted butter too. So, as with all dishes, taste at the end and adjust for salt.
  • 1 cup white rice
  • 1/3 cup cut spaghetti
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 cup chopped mushrooms
  • 1 cup chopped broccoli - fairly small
  • 3 tbsp. butter
  • 1 1/2 tsp. dried parsley flakes - crushed
  • 1/4 tsp. granulated garlic
  • 1/4 tsp. salt (I used kosher salt)
  • 1/8 tsp. black pepper (I used a fine table grind)
  1. In a wide skillet that has a lid, melt the butter over medium heat. When the butter sizzles, add in the cut spaghetti. Keep stirring until it starts to brown a bit.
  2. Turn the heat down to medium low and add in the rice and dried herbs along with the mushrooms and broccoli. Stir and slowly add in the chicken broth.
  3. Turn the heat up until it comes to a bubble, lid it, turn the heat down to low and cook for 15 minutes.
  4. Your rice should be perfectly cooked and ready to plate.
Prep time: 8 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Servings: 4-6
Cost: approximately $3.29, serving 4 for 82¢, serving 6 for 54¢



If you are looking for quick and easy for a side dish, don't hesitate to try this.


For all other versions you can get to the recipes by clicking on the photographs. I am excited that I figured this out. (Links in the photo itself.) It so happens that I love all of the versions, but I am partial to the original homestyle due to my being able to figure out how to re-create it at home!

HOMESTYLE RICE AND RONI



    BROCCOLI RICE AND RONI



      ASIAN RICE AND RONI

       

      MUSHROOM RICE AND RONI



        Comments

        Popular Posts

        Popular Posts